The Civic Center started out as Redwood Hall during the time of Little Landers. The utopian agricultural community wanted a grassy park area, which still exists today between this building and the San Ysidro Public Library.
Redwood Hall is where all the gatherings took place of the Little Landers community. When the colony was washed away by the 1916 flood, the building became the Civic Center and was built in 1927 with donations by border baron Frank Beyer. His wife, Blanche Beyer, was a member of the San Ysidro Women’s Club a group who held meetings here. They have existed since 1915 and are still going strong today!
By the 1940s and 1950s the Civic Center was used for all sorts of community events, including New Year Parties.
In the 1960s the Civic Center and the park became an important location for Latinos. Farm worker activist Ceasar Chavez came to here to give talks. Bobby Kennedy also came to San Ysidro only days before his assassination to campaign for President. He specifically wanted to garner support from Latinos and San Ysidro by that time was a predominantly Hispanic community.