Archive | San Ysidro Walking Tour

RSS feed for this section

Church of Mt. Carmel

Church of Mt. Carmel

114 Hall Avenue: Templo de Restauracion This simple Mission Revival building was originally Our Lady of Mount Carmel, the first Catholic Church in San Ysidro. Father Seville Alloero provided the dedication and blessing at the first service on Easter Sunday, 1927. The church was built by Mr. W.B. Settle, a San Diego carpenter and contractor […]

The Front

The Front

145-147-149 San Ysidro Blvd. Historically known as the San Ysidro Commercial Company, this two story Spanish Eclectic structure was designed in 1927 by Louis Gill, the nephew of Irving Gill. Louis, born in New York in 1895, graduated from the Architectural University of Syracuse in 1911. Between the years 1911-1914 he worked as a draftsman […]